Image Map

"Better Than Starbucks" Pumpkin Bread

16 June 2012


My kids and I have been hooked on Starbucks pumpkin bread, but it's pricey, and is (at least I assume) made with white, instead of whole wheat flour.

About a year ago, I did a search for Starbucks pumpkin bread and found a recipe on Mrs. Southern Bride.

I subbed whole wheat flour for white, cut back on the sugar a bit, and was pretty satisfied with the results.

It was good, and I made it often (usually as muffins instead of bread.)

However, I am now thrilled to say, that after a year of tweaking the recipe, I now like it BETTER than Starbucks. It's moist and dense and full of flavor. My only problem is that it all disappears within an hour of making it.

I am often asked for the recipe, so I decided it was time to post it.



Pumpkin Bread or Muffins

Ingredients:

1 cup whole wheat flour
¾ t. baking powder
¼ t. baking soda (a very generous ¼ t.)
1/3 cup butter- melted and cooled
1 can pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
2 large eggs
1 ½ cup sugar
1 t. cinnamon
½ t. nutmeg
½ t. salt
1 t. vanilla

Heat oven to 350 degrees.
Beat eggs, add pumpkin, butter, sugar, and vanilla. Combine dry ingredients and then add to the wet ingredients. Mix well.

Coat bread pan (I have had great success with a Pampered Chef stoneware pan) with oil or butter. Fill and cook at 350 until firm (I haven't found a perfect cooking time yet, but it is so moist that it takes a while!)

For muffins, coat muffin tins  with oil. Fill ¾ way to the top. Cook until firm (about 15-20 minutes for mini muffins and 20-30 minutes for full size.)

**I recently discovered that this recipe also makes a really good Banana Bread- just sub 3 mashed bananas for the pumpkin, reduce the sugar to 1 cup or less and leave out the nutmeg.

Mmm... just looking at the picture is making me hungry... I think I may have to go make some now! Have you ever tried Starbucks Pumpkin Bread? What other Starbucks treats do you wish you could make at home?


Linked up to: Breakfast Ideas Monday

7 comments:

  1. This cracks me up... I used to have a running buddy that was on a mission to make her own Better than Starbucks Pumpkin Bread. :-)

    I planted some pie pumpkins this year in hopes of making my own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's addictive! Every time we would drive by Starbucks, the kids would say, "Can we get some pumpkin bread?" I bet it would be great with fresh pumpkin! I haven't tried it, but last year I made pumpkin roll with fresh pumpkin and it was soooo much better than the one I made with canned!

      Delete
  2. Thanks! It honestly is Soooo good. I make pumpkin muffins all the time (it's my favorite preschool snack) and people always ask for the recipe- even though it would typically be thought of as a "fall food," we eat them all year long!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for sharing this yummy recipe at Breakfast Ideas Mondays. You have been featured in this week's party - http://www.yummyinspirations.net/2012/06/coconut-hot-chocolate-breakfast-ideas.html :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love you! I love you! I can't wait to try this...we love quick breads, especially pumpkin...and especially moist. It's easy to see this one is everything all wrapped up in one. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What size canned pumpkin do you use? 29 oz or the smaller one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The smaller one. Sorry, I didn't think to clarify. I don't have any with me right now. If you know what size the smaller one is, I can add it to the recipe. Otherwise, I'll try to do it when I buy my next can. Hope you enjoy it!

      Delete

Please add your questions, comments, and suggestions so that we can all learn from each other!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...